Come along for the ride!!

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The difference a day makes.


I always feel slightly sheepish mentioning that England is in the middle of a severe weather warning. I receive comments from (and follow the blogs of) people living in places such as the Turks & Caicos Islands, from Texas and from Washington DC, all of which really know what severe weather is all about.

Anyway, severe or not, there are a couple of types of weather that are guaranteed to keep the cover on my bike and force me onto that most loathed of modes of transport, the London Underground.

As I peeked behind the window blinds at 6.15am, I see a pitch black morning with lots of rain flying sideways down the street and debris flying after it.

Sheesh.

The underground it is.

So I grab my book, pull my collar up and head for the station. As soon as I get on the tube I remember why I hate using it so much. We are packed in like sardines and still more and more people try to squeeze on. Someone sneezes somewhere and I cover my face, looking to see if everyone does the same (no-one does).

Just when I think it can’t be worse, I hear someone throwing up – ON the train! Faces wrinkle in disgust, the smell fills the carriage and I get off at the next stop and wait for the next train.

I hate the tube!

Train comes in, I get on and this time I get a seat. On to the next stop and people fill the carriage once more but I keep my face buried in my book. I am aware that a woman is standing right in front of me but still I keep looking into my book. The guards voice announces mine is the next stop and I prepare to stand. As I do, I get a proper look at the woman in front of me.

The heavily, heavily pregnant woman.

I stutter an apology and try to explain that I didn’t see her, which she gracefully accepts but hurries to sit down as I leave.

What did I say about not getting any worse?

I hate the tube!


Me and my shadow yesterday morning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home