Come along for the ride!!

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Deal or no deal?


I clearly remember having several run-in’s with my supervisor and manager over recent years, regarding childcare or problems on that topic.

Request for flexible working, for example. Trips to the GP, running a little late, needing to leave a little early to name a few others.

I know what you’re thinking; “well, why should allowances be made for you for when the rest of us ….” blah blah blah.

The thing is, I always paid the time back – I never just thought, “ah, sod it, I’ll just stay in bed, amble down to the GP’s and then into work. Actually, I think I’ll stay at home today”.

If I got in late, I stayed late or took a short lunch – I paid it back. OK?

Anyway, I remember taking a perverse pleasure when my supervisor became a parent and the difficulties that came with it surrounding work related issues suddenly dawned on her.

Hah!

Childish I know but hey, reap what you sow. What goes around comes around.

The thing is, you may know I changed my working hours for a better “work/life balance”.

And I’ve been loving it. Sometimes Joseph and I get to do something fun; other times I’ve had extra time to do essential “stuff”.

There’s only one problem; even though I sign for my reduced hours (which is reflected in my pay), I still think that my colleagues feel slightly miffed that I leave early.

I mean, at the end of the day it’s plain tough, but I can see their annoyance when I walk out of work at half past two.

It didn’t matter early on in the year when it was dark, cold and wet out, but it’s a little different when the sun is shining and the thermometer is steadily rising.

It’s the same when I’m in late or off if one of the children are sick.

Colleagues seem to think that taking a day off is terrific whichever way you look at it.

“Day off? Cor, wish I could take a day off just like that”.

They don’t get that it’s pretty awful taking care of your children when they’re sick. That it’s pretty rotten watching your child cry with ear ache and a burning temperature.

Believe me, I would rather never take a day off again if it meant my children were never sick again.

Now that’s a deal I would love to be able to make.

Count me in!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home