Come along for the ride!!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sultan of Swing


Is there anybody out there who actually likes being a beginner at something? I'm not talking about the thrill of learning or doing something new - that in itself is amazing.

No, I'm talking about actually standing up and saying, "erm, not entirely sure what this is all about I'm afraid! ' not all that confident on the topic matter."

Nah. Me neither.

But please note, if you will, the word "beginner" on the image below (pause to scroll down for a look and ...... welcome back).

Personally, I don't like being the 'new kid on the block' when it comes to just about anything but thanks to one man, I perused many a shelf in the Oxford Street Virgin Megastore (yes, yes, a while ago) before purchasing this CD.

I knew pretty much none of the names of the artists on the CD, ditto the names of the songs, but buy it I did. My reason for this blind faith purchase was simple; a person I didn't know had played several similar songs (similar insofar as he played songs from the same continent which I admit, is rather vague when talking about somewhere as vast as Africa or Asia) on his radio show which I happened to be listening to.

And this person made these strange recordings sound so colourful, so exotic .....

so .....

so .......

so desirable .....
that I just had to get in on the act, I had to learn more about our world of music.

Well, that CD purchase was quite a while ago - early 2003 - and I am pleased to say that my world music knowledge has come on somewhat and, as is often the case, one's early foray into an unknown world seems a little embarrassing which, I admit, is probably just plain conceited; we all have to start somewhere, right?

And if you're anything like me, you always feel slightly indebted to the person who introduced you to whatever it was, however long ago it was.

With that in mind, I would like to pay tribute to BBC Radio 3 and World Service presenter Mr Charlie Gillett, who died in the early hours of this morning. (read here) (and here)


At the risk of sounding condescending, "y' done proper good, lad".

Y' done proper good.

Oh, and thank you for making it all sound incredible.

Sweet dreams Charlie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home