Come along for the ride!!

Thursday, April 23, 2009

"We shall fight them on the beaches ..."


Yes I know, I know that our image around the world ain't the greatest!

I also know that the red cross of England is more likely to conjure up images of fat, skin'ead football fans fighting than it is a brave nation standing proud upon it's shores.

I learnt a few things about St. George today however, including;

he wasn't English at all.

He was a Roman soldier born in Turkey.

He never once visited England.

(Don't worry, I'm thinking the same thing!)

Apparently, our admiration for the man came when he voiced his disapproval to the Roman Empire at the treatment of Christians and his refusal to denounce his faith. He was either beheaded at Lydda (in Palestine), or returned there following his death.

He is also the patron saint for Aragon, Catalonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Palestine, Portugal and Russia as well as the cities of Genoa, Moscow and, interestingly, Beirut.

(And everyone thought M and I had nothing in common when we met - shame on them!!)



Happy St. George's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home