Come along for the ride!!

Saturday, March 07, 2009

"When I die and they lay me to rest, I'm gonna go ..."


Y'know, it's funny how something or someplace that you see every day becomes mundane, and pretty quickly at that.

Take the Strand and the surrounding area in the heart of London, for example.

For nearly seven years I beat the pavements around and about the Aldwych end of the Strand and it was, frankly, dull. Yes, I know, there's tons to see and do but when all you have is a lunch hour with a maximum of half an hour in that direction before you have to turn back, there wasn't a great deal that I didn't discover at least once.

But what happens today?

Well I'll tell you. We all head into 'town' for the first of our birthday treats - I say 'our' because it is my monster-in-laws birthday tomorrow too (oh how M laughed when she realised she was dating a Pisces with all his faults as well as being brought up by one) and coming out of the underground station and stepping onto the Strand was familiar (obviously) and welcoming (less obvious perhaps).

Anyway, we were heading for the Adelphi theatre because M was taking us to see Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. Yeah, I couldn't wait to see that Lee Mead, he was terrific in the search for Jos.......

What's this?

He's not playing the lead anymore?

You're kidding? Oh man, I was looking forward to seeing him ... who've they replaced him with, someone good I hope?

WHAT?

Gareth bloody Gates?? You have got to be joking??

Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound I s'pose.

But guess what? He was pretty damn good!

I know, I was as surprised as you are! Not only did he hit most of the notes (the low ones eluded him completely) he looked the part, was convincing and I have to say, has obviously worked hard to get himself in shape as he was looking rather buff it has to be said. Mind you, if someone told me I'd be earning my keep for the next year wearing little else apart from a loin-cloth, I'd buff up too!!

I was thinking about young Mr Gates on the way home actually (not in his loin-cloth by the way) and I couldn't help but begrudgingly admire this young chancer who'd stuttered his way through Pop Idol just over 7 years ago and apparently sounded his own death knell by singing Spirit in the Sky (many have tried, many a career has ended) but not Master Gates (easy).

No, he clearly had his sights set for higher things, well done him.


Unfortunately, as good as the show was, the fact that the merchandise on sale all had the name 'joseph' splashed across it was too much to bear and Annabel was extremely upset (and tired) that Joseph was able to get a drinking bottle with his name printed on the front of it.

If you're listening Mr Webber or Mr Rice; please write a musical entitled Annabel so that she might be able to buy similar?

Please??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home