Come along for the ride!!

Monday, September 22, 2008

The bionic woman


And so, after M and I spent our respective days fretting and worrying about how Annabel would cope with her first full day of breakfast club, the walk to school plus the full day at school after that.

“Poor bunny”, M would say. “She’ll be so tired”.

“I know, I know”, I sympathised, promising to “collect her and make a fuss of her at home”.

So I was more than a little surprised when I did collect her as she came running at me full pelt and jumped into my arms, wriggling to be put down again almost immediately before dashing off for her water bottle and marching out of the classroom.

She proceeded to tell me about her day as we waited patiently for her brother to come out of his classroom, who then announced that he wanted to go to the Common to fly his plane, one of his many toys from Friday evening.

We went home, got changed, grabbed the plane and headed for the Common.

In my wisdom, I thought the edge of the car park would be a good place to charge and fly a small plastic plane and clearly, as with many things in my life, I hadn’t thought it through very well.

I charged it, I threw it and the wind took it in a big looping circle, skimming the tops of the parked cars, over to the grassy area, back into the car park before BANG, a big blue van very helpfully brought it’s maiden flight to an end, much to the children’s delight.

(Why do kids love it when grown ups do something “naughty”?)

I suggested we move to open space for our next flight.

If I was slightly surprised at Annabel earlier, then it with amazement as I watched her sprint around the open space of our local common, trying desperately to catch the plane and showing no signs of slowing up.

Of course, the energy levels never last and as the wind picked up, we went home for snacks, homework and TV.

But not necessarily in that order.

Get yourself an Air Hog. They’re pretty cool.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home