Come along for the ride!!

Thursday, June 08, 2006

3 cheers for new experiences


The whole point of this blog is for me to record the small, seemingly unimportant aspects of parenthood but which I don't want to forget. This is proving entirely successful as reading back over the past couple of months brings a smile to my face (and the odd tear to my eye). The other of course, is for YOU, the new parent, the expecting parent to find out just what it is you're letting yourselves in for, while at the same time, it being too late for you to change anything, ha hah!!!

Two things I wanted to share with you. Firstly, I don't think I need to tell you how amazing the young brain is. The way it soaks up new information is phenomenal - learns how to do totally new things, learns from its mistakes, can learn languages - awesome! All in a very short space of time - I mean, I know that learning is ongoing but J is approaching his 4th birthday and it is fantstic to share all that he has learnt over the past 3 and a half years. Anyway, as amazing as his grasp of the english language is, there is the occasional endearing hiccup.

A previous example is when I would read him stories. As much as we avoided the "... and they all lived happily after" type of story, their was occasion when these were fallen back on. Inevitably they start "Once upon a time ..... ".


J asked if I would read him "that story".

"Which one" I reply?

"You know, the one a poncey time story!"

Heh heh....... a small mistake but it has stuck - story time usually starts with the inserted line, "One a poncey time" and still makes us all chuckle. (Let's hope he doesn't think back to his childhood as "a really poncey time though!)

We have been looking through an amazing childrens encyclopedia with loads of pictures, fascinating facts and fun things to do and make. J announced that tonight we would be reading "the sickly spider". Actually, reading back, it doesn't sound anything like encyclopedia but that's beside the point - it made us all laugh and I have immortalised it in print so there.

Yesterday was Day 2 of 2 spent with Missy; just the two of us. Again, it was wonderful. Beside the explosive bowel movements, peeing before I had the chance to get a nappy on, all the while being laughed at by a 1 year old - it's very disconcerting you know - throws your confidence if you're not careful!!

Anyway, we had a lovely afternoon and went for a walk to our local common - Tooting Common. We took bread to feed the ducks even though they're over fed and usually turn their noses up at us by the time we arrive. I turned A's buggy to the water and sat on the bench next to her and started throwing bread to a lone moorhen which had wandered over. They're a jealous bunch, wild birds; within 2 minutes we were being jostled by 3 canadian geese, 2 very tetchy moorhens, 5 or 6 mallard ducks and the usual winged rats - pigeons. I'm no Bill Oddie btw, I just happen to know a few names!

Missy was beside herself with excitement - she currently is enjoying pointing at everything and squeaking with a
high rising terminal at the end as if her squeak is supposed to be a question which warrants an answer! I did try giving her some of the bread to throw but she promptly stuffed it in her mouth - how un-lady like!

It was wonderful though - here I was, sitting by a large pond on a beautiful sunny day, off work, with my daughter who was experiencing something totally new. The best thing was that most of the birds jumped out of the water and came right over to us.

I stopped throwing bread to the original moorhen when it got all bolshy with a fellow male and chased it off, strutting back looking all pleased with itself. I also went completely against everything I stand for by actually feeding a pigeon (I hate pigeons with passion; almost as much as I hate flies) but this pigeon had one stump and the other "foot" had only one toe. Although he looked in fairly good condition I still felt sorry for him/her/it. Don't get used to it though my feathered friend; I generally hate your kind!

All was peaceful until a huge, fully grown swan decided to show off by running on the water, its enormous wings hitting the water noisily, not even trying to take off but wanting all the other birds to know he/she had arrived from the other end of the pond. It was enough though - the birds scattered in all directions. Time to leave I think, show's over.

I like to think Missy had a good time - she seemed pretty happy! The fact that her pointing at the birds and squeaking made them all flinch gave her some sort of inflated sense of power.

Something I have suffered from for many years now!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home