Come along for the ride!!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

"One, two, sree, four, one, two, sree, four ... "


Looking back through some older posts, I am finding it difficult to believe it's been over a year since I wrote about trying to buy a piano (read here). Well, I say piano, but a work colleague of M's who's a pianist professional (at least, I think that's what she said), told me to consider a digital piano. They are cheaper to maintain and sound and look just as good, apparently.

Well, I found one. Actually, I found one some time ago, but something very special happened tonight that has prompted me to sit down and tell you about it.

Tonight Joseph and I had our very first piano lesson. If you took the time to read the link above, you will realise that playing the piano is something I have wanted to do for a very long time. The fact that Joseph is having his first lesson almost exactly 34 years earlier than I did was not lost on me.

Regardless, we were both excited and looking forward to the lesson. A work colleague put me in touch with a very friendly Russian chap who teaches both cello and piano at a very high level but was happy to take us on as students. His bread and butter, I guess you could say, but he was perfectly nice and very professional (offering his CRB form and driving licence so I would "know who I was dealing with").

An added bonus was that he came to our house (rather than us traipse to his) and this had the added advantage of being in familiar surroundings for Joseph. He had his half an hour (with me in the room) and I had my half an hour (with Joseph out of the room). I thought the guy was coming to an end with Joseph but I could see Joseph wanted to carry on. This was picked up on and, in his very strong Russian accent he said, "aah, I see a twinkle in your eye Joseph. you are enjoying it very much, is it right? Do you want to continue?" Of course, he did, so on they went.

I don't know what else to say other than it was bliss. All I learnt was where to find Middle C and D, crotchets, minims and semibreves, not to mention treble clefs!!!

After all this time, it was very satisfying to actually be reading music. Basic music undoubtedly but reading it nevertheless.



Look out
Yann. I'm comin' after ya!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Alistair said...

Its amazing when reading music you actually hear it as you go. Like the voice in your head reading a book to you.......


remember to practice chopsticks with the headphones on. A good marriage is hard to find!

cheers....Al.

12:33 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home